warm summer night


warm summer night
Originally uploaded by bkusler.
i finally got around to using my new tripod last night. my family bought me this killer manfrotto for my birthday back in feb but it's just been so cold and foggy at night that i haven't felt motivated. this week's heatwave tho -- hopped in a city carshare mini cooper opened up the roof and did some night shooting.

i've shot pix up here a dozen times, but the thing i was most excited about was finally being able to shoot below ISO 1600 and have none of the christmas tree noise that's on so many of my night photos. (yes i know about noise ninja, but it's not the same as just not creating it in the first place!)

my brother taught me a cool trick with differential layers in photoshop for removing noise with a CCD profile... i might have to try that sometime. the sutro tower picture really underscored for me how fast the stars in the night sky are moving, and if the stars were the main subject matter, i might need to do a 1600 + noise differential... but i think i'll wait to do that until i'm someplace with less light-pollution.

seeing the stars move also made me really want to shoot a long time-lapse series and turn it into a HD movie :)

Comments

Popular Posts