getting burned

Ouch. We've all gotten burned by the "it's all your fault" client at some point.

It took me a long time to develop that right mix of professionalism + self-confidence + track-record + history of getting burned + faith in future earnings potential to have that iron will to force EVERYONE thru all of the hoops and to just lose the business of people who won't jump thru them.

Contracts always read like a corporate history of 'every way I've been burned so far'.

"No, I'm sorry, we don't send out hardware until it's paid in full... Yes, I understand that you're on a tight deadline... Then perhaps you should focus your efforts on making the check show up faster if you'd like the units sooner... No, I won't do half down and half later... I've already sent you a long list of client and credit references, Sir, I assure that we are not a fly-by-night operation and your units *will* arrive when I say they will... No, Net 30 does not mean Net Whenever... (and on and on)"

At the beginning we were just so eager to get sales that I'd do anything. And that was AFTER I learned all those lessons once when I was doing freelance computer stuff! I guess i just had to re-learn it while i built up confidence that if Rushy McHurryup decided to cancel his order another customer is somewhere behind him waiting to play by the rules.

I'm sure you know all of that already.

A buddy and I were talking the other day about how we now suss people out in 5 minutes on the phone and can tell whether or not they're "real". One of the biggest warning signs: Anyone who says they're in a "hurry". These people need to be reminded of the old adage: "price, schedule, quality -- pick two." Unfortunately by the time they reach you, the only thing that will save them is a time machine and a money printer. Since they don't have that they settle for the next best thing: a scapegoat.

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:
A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 42 degrees north latitude and between 58 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.
"I am," replied the man, "but how did you know?"
"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost."
The man below responded, "You must be a manager."
"I am," replied the balloonist, "how did you know?"
"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are exactly in the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

Comments

Popular Posts